Red yeast rice has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for millennia. It is produced when rice is fermented with various strains of red yeast, a mold called Monascus purpureus. In Chinese herbology and traditional Chinese medicine, red yeast rice is taken internally to invigorate the body, aid in digestion, and revitalize the blood, help lower down blood sugar, blood pressure and blood fat. So eating red yeast rice congee does good to women who want to keep young and nourish their beautiful skin.
80g red yeast rice; 100g wheat; 100g red rice; 1 stick of sweet potato
1. Infuse wheat and red rice in water beforehand. Wash and clean red yeast rice and drain.
2. Cut sweet potato into fine sections. Add infused wheat and red rice into a saucepan. Add water into the pan to cover the wheat and red rice. Then put a lid onto the pan, heat on high heat until boiling.
3. Bring the saucepan into boiling and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, then switch off the heat. And keep the saucepan there for about half an hour or longer to have the rice split. Then switch on the high heat and add red yeast rice into the saucepan
4. Bring the saucepan into boiling and cook for several minutes. Add sweet potato and continue to cook until boiling. Then continue to cook for several minutes.
5. Switch off the heat, keep congee in the saucepan for about half an hour. Then we can unfold the lid, and will find congee is suitable for eating, we can start to enjoy this delicious congee.