According to Chinese traditional medicine, white fungus claims to have the effects of securing the essence, tonifying the kidney and stomach, lubricating the intestines, nourishing one’s vitality and blood, strengthening the heart and body, refreshing oneself, beautifying oneself, rejuvenating the skin and prolonging life, etc. It can enhance the detoxication ability of the liver and protect the liver. It not only elevates the immunity against the tumor, but also strengthens the cancer patients’ tolerance of radiotherapy and chemotherapy. It can promote the secretion of saliva or body fluid, nourish the lung and stomach. Therefore, it is a cure for consumptive diseases, cough, blood-stained sputum, thirst, weakness after disease and lack of breath and strength.
The longan fruit can nourish the heart and spleen, nourishing the blood and tranquilization and moisten the skin and beautify oneself. So it is suitable for people suffering insomnia, amnesia, neurasthenia, anemia and weakness after disease.
Difficulty: cutting (elementary)
Cooking time: 30-60 minutes
Ingredients: 15g dry white fungus; 10 longan fruit; 3 red dates
Seasonings: a dozen of lily; a dozen of lotus seeds; 6 pieces of rock candy according to personal taste
1. Wash the lily and lotus seeds with clean water and soak them for 2 hours. Soak the dry white fungus until it is soft.
2. Take the pedicle off the soaked white fungus, clean it and tear it into small pieces. Take off the lotus plumule. The plumule has the effects of clearing the heat, securing the essence, soothing the nerves and strengthening the heart. So if you can endure bitterness, it is suggested to keep the plumule.
3. Add enough water into the pot once for a time. Add the white fungus, lotus seeds and lily into the pot, and then add rock candy and boil the water on strong heat.
4. Remove the longan fruit shell and kernel. Soak the red dates in clean water for 5 minutes, clean it and take the kernel out. I use fresh longan fruit because there is no dry longan fruit at home. Boil the white fungus soup over strong heat, put longan fruit and red dates into the pot and stew it slowly with gentle heat.
5. Turn off the fire when the soup is thick and the materials are done. Stew the soup for 5 minutes while taking the lid off. Take the soup out when it is relatively cold. In summer, the taste is better if put in the refrigerator for cold storage.