Amaranth exhibits many effects, contains rich calcium which is easily absorbed by the human body, rich iron and vitamin K, so it has hematopoietic function. Eating amaranth often can help to lose weight, stimulate detoxication and prevent constipation. This vegetable is rich in protein, fat, sugar and various kinds of vitamins and mineral substances. The protein contained in amaranth is more fully absorbed by human body than milk. The carotene contained is more than that in solanaceous vegetables. Amaranth is called “longevity vegetable”, since it can furnish abundant nutritious substances for human body, is beneficial to strengthening the body and elevating the immunity.
Difficulty: cutting (elementary)
Cooking time: about 10 minutes
Ingredients: 300g amaranth
Seasonings: 2tbsp of oil; 2tsp of salt; 1tsp of chicken powder; 2 pieces of dry pepper; a dozen of garlic cloves; 1tsp of light soybean sauce
1. Cut off the root of the amaranth with knife and clean. Prepare a big container, and light salty water or rice washing water. Put amaranth inside and soak for 15 minutes.
2. Clean the soaked amaranth with clean water twice, and drain the water off. Cut the dry red pepper into sections. Remove the peel of the garlic cloves, clean and chop into pieces.
3. Heat a wok, add 2tbsp of vegetable oil. When the wok is hot, shift to gentle heat. Add dry red pepper and garlic pieces and fry.
4. Add the amaranth and stir fry on strong heat. Add 1tsp of light soy sauce.
5. Add 1tsp of salt and chicken powder respectively. Stir fry evenly and then turn off the fire. Take out the dish.
Cooking tips: this dish is suitable for the old people, the children, the women and those who expect to lose weight. In summer, eating amaranth plays a significant role in clearing away heat and toxic materials, curing enteritis, dysentery, dry stool and inhibited voidings of reddish urine. The people who suffer deficiency-cold in spleen and stomach should not eat this dish. Those who are vulnerable to cold air in the stomach and intestines and lax should neither eat much.