In China, almost every day we would have a meal to eat white rice. So it’s very important to learn how to cook white rice. It’s not complicated to learn how to cook white rice. Rice comes in many different sizes, shapes and colors. I will focus on the general way how we Chinese cook white rice.
Cooking time: around 30 minutes
Ingredients: 500g white rice
Seasonings: 1/2 tsp of vinegar; water
1. Put 500g white rice in a pressure cooker, add cold water to clean white rice.
2. Mix the rice with hand, pour the water away after rice-rinsing. Then rinse rice again in clean water.
3. Add some water in a stew pan and bring into boiling. Pour boiling water into the pressure cooker.
4. The water in the pressure cooker should be only 2 or 3 cm above white rice.
5. Add 1/2 tsp of vinegar into the cooker. When we cook white rice, usually add 1ml vinegar per 500g white rice.
6. Cook white rice for about 20 minutes in the pressure cooker .
Cooking tips: We should rinse white rice for only two or three times, mix white rice lightly. White rice contains vitamins and inorganic salts. These two are easily dissolved in water, so we shouldn’t rinse white rice in water too much and shouldn’t knead heavily. After rice rinsing, use boiling water to cook can not only reduce cooking time but also maintain vitamins and other nutrient substances. When cooking white rice, adding some vinegar can not only prevent the rice from being stale but also make the rice more mellow and tasty.