Guizhou Cuisine is spicy like Sichuan Cuisine, but that is where the similarities end. The cuisine in Guizhou is sour and spicy, making it unique amongst China’s cuisine styles. The locals love their Guizhou Cuisine and cannot bear to go even a day without eating it. There is an ancient local saying which states “Without eating a sour dish for three days, people will stagger with weak legs”. Today we will share one of Guizhou dishes called Guizhou Sour Beef Soup.
Ingredients: 500g beef; 200g celery
Seasoning: 1 tbsp oil; 1 tbsp salt; dried cayenne pepper; ginger; garlic leaves; green onions; garlic cloves; white sugar; white wine; 150g red sour
1. Clean and wash beef, cut them into small fine sections. Add water into a wok and then heat to boil. Blanch beef in the wok. Then wash beef in clean water. Drain beef.
2. Chop ginger, garlic cloves. Heat a wok on high heat, add 1tbsp oil into the wok. Add chopped ginger and garlic cloves, stir fry until fragrance. Add beef and stir fry. Add some white wine.
3. Continue to stir fry for about 5 minutes. Then add boiling water. After boiled, pour into a pressure cooker and cook for about 25 minutes.
4. Clean celery and then cut into fine stripes. Heat a wok on high heat, add 1tbsp oil into the wok. Add ginger, onions and garlic cloves and dried cayenne, stir fry until fragrance.
5. Add some Guizhou red sour, stir fry until the smell of food. Then pour beef soup from a pressure cooker into the wok.
6. After boiling add celery. Add 1tbsp salt and white sugar respectively. Finally Add chopped garlic leaves.
Cooking tips: If you don’t like eating spicy food, then don’t put dried cayenne peppers. The above is the way to cook soup, but we also can make hot pot if we omit the step of cooking in the pressure cooker, just stir fry beef with Guizhou red sour and put in hot pot to stew.