Chinese leek,known as “Yang” grass, is good for keeping the “Yang Qi” of the body in Chinese Traditional Medicine. It can enhance the body’s resistance to bacteria and virus, beneficial to human health. This Chinese leek porridge with shrimps can nourish spleen and kidney, invigorate blood and Qi in human body, and treat the constipation disease.
Ingredients: 100g rice; 25g Chinese leek; 10 shrimps
Seasonings: 3ml oil; 1 tea spoon of salt; pepper powder; 5ml cooking wine
Cooking time: 30-60 minutes
1. Prepare all materials including rice, shrimps and Chinese leek. Rinse rice clean and then soak in water for 20 minutes.
2. Get rid of shrimp shell and intestine gut. Add some pepper powder and cooking wine and then mix them well. Blanch in hot water for use.
3. Clean Chinese leek and cut in sections. Then bring water to boiling in a cooking pot. Then add rice.
4. Stir the rice and cook in high heat until boiling. Then turn into low heat, put the lid and continue to cook.
5. 20 minutes later when the rice become slightly mashy, add 1 tea spoon of oil and continue to cook until the rice become totally mashy. Add shrimps and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Add 1 tea spoon of salt and little pepper powder for flavor.
7. Then add Chinese leek, stir evenly for one minute. Finally switch off the heat.
Cooking tips: cooking rice in boiling water can prevent rice crust from sticking to the bottom of the pot but quicken the rice cooking process. Add some oil in slightly mashy rice can help the porridge look bright and taste tender. Using pepper powder and cooking wine can get rid of raw smell of shrimps.