Pickle fish, the traditional specialty dish of the Han Nationality in China Sichuan area, belongs to the Sichuan cuisine. It is well-known for its distinct flavor and unique cooking method. Though it is a home style dish among folks in Sichuan, this dish is spread extremely widely. The meat is tender, and the soup is sour, sweet, a little spicy but not greasy. The fillet is tender. The flavor of the dish suits all, with special features in Sichuan.
Difficulty: chef (advanced)
Cooking time: 10-30 minutes
Ingredients: 1500g silver carp
Seasonings: 3tbsp of oil; 1tbsp of starch; 1tsp of sesame oil; 1tbsp of thick broad-bean sauce; a dozen of dry red pepper; a dozen of Chinese prickly ash; a handful of pickle; a dozen of pickled pepper; a slice of pickled ginger; a slice of ginger; a dozen of garlic cloves; several anise; several jambolan; several kaempferiae; 1tbsp of vinegar; 1tbsp of cooking wine; 1tsp of salt; 1tbsp of sugar; 1tsp of chicken powder; a handful of green scallion
1. After the silver carp is butched by the retailers, slice into fillets. Wash fillets repeatedly with flowing water, mix evenly with salt and preserve for some moments. Wash the preserved silver carp, mix evenly with starch and sesame oil, and then preserve for the second time.
2. Chop the home-made pickle, pickled ginger, pickled pepper into pieces, and mix together. If the pickle is bought outside, wash the prickle with flowing water before chopping. Clean the old ginger and cut into slices. Peel the garlic cloves and cut into halves.
3. Heat a wok and add thick broad-bean sauce. Then add dry red pepper and Chinese prickly ash, stir fry several times. Add the mixed pickles and stir fry.
4. Pour moderate water into the wok and add ginger, garlic, anise, jambolan and kaempferiae. Add 1tbsp of vinegar.
5. Add cooking wine and sugar respectively. When the soup is boiling, braise for some time. Add the fish head and boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the steck (the middle part with fishbone) and fillets. When the soup is boiling, braise for one more minute.
6. Add 1tsp of chicken powder. Turn off the heat and stir fry evenly. Take the dish out and sprinkle the chopped green scallion.
Cooking tips: the pickle is the key point, so we should take more time to select the best tasteful pickle. If you don’t like spicy taste, you don’t need to add thick broad-bean sauce and so many red peppers.